Supertouring era BTCC Entries/Rumours that never happened

Area to discuss the British Touring Car Championship from 1991 - 2000.
SuperTouringPod

Re: Supertouring era BTCC Entries/Rumours that never happened

Post by SuperTouringPod »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 5:40 pm
SuperTouringPod wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:48 pm We did a podcast episode on rumours from the era. It has a few more bits to it than the article too.

https://pod.fo/e/207ff5
I don't really listen to podcasts, that's the thing.
That's a real shame. Our rare exclusive with James Thompson was a brilliant episode. :) He talked about his agreed move to Ford for 1995 before Rouse changed his mind.
Nononsensecapeesh

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

SuperTouringPod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:48 am
SuperTouringPod wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:48 pm We did a podcast episode on rumours from the era. It has a few more bits to it than the article too.

That's a real shame. Our rare exclusive with James Thompson was a brilliant episode. :) He talked about his agreed move to Ford for 1995 before Rouse changed his mind.
That's not to say I never will.

I would be interested in listening to your podcasts.

James Thompson was lucky not to end up at Ford in 1995 in hindsight.

Gareth Howell in 1993.
Dave Goddard

Post by Dave Goddard »

I believe that was a different Gareth Howell to the one who eventually did race in BTCC in the 2000s.

I also remember reading in Autosport that a Swedish team running Opel Vectras and with Thomas Johansson and Peggen Andersson as drivers was going to make a couple of "cameo" BTCC appearances one year but that never happened. We did of course briefly get Jan Brunstedt...who was rubbish.
SFS Alex

Post by SFS Alex »

Dave Goddard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:54 pm I believe that was a different Gareth Howell to the one who eventually did race in BTCC in the 2000s.

I also remember reading in Autosport that a Swedish team running Opel Vectras and with Thomas Johansson and Peggen Andersson as drivers was going to make a couple of "cameo" BTCC appearances one year but that never happened. We did of course briefly get Jan Brunstedt...who was rubbish.
It was a different Gareth Howell. As he often has to correct! :lol:

I have pics of Johansson and Brundstedt testing at Brands in 1998 in readiness for the BTCC. I shall have to dig them out...
Last edited by SFS Alex on Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MRP

Post by MRP »

Was it just a rumour or was it confirmed that TOCA were willing to allow 4WD Quattros back into the series in 1999 (or was it 2000) to entice privateers from Europe to bring their cars to the BTCC?
Blueshoes

Post by Blueshoes »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:10 pm
SuperTouringPod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:48 am

That's not to say I never will.

I would be interested in listening to your podcasts.

James Thompson was lucky not to end up at Ford in 1995 in hindsight.

Gareth Howell in 1993.
I never seen a pic of that Mondeo before!
Nononsensecapeesh

Dave Goddard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:54 pm I believe that was a different Gareth Howell to the one who eventually did race in BTCC in the 2000s.

It was a different Gareth Howell. To prove as such, the one who raced in the 2000s was only 12 in 1993.

I thought the Janco Opels were supposed to race in 1998 with Johansson and Brunstedt?
SFS Alex

Post by SFS Alex »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:41 pm
It was a different Gareth Howell. To prove as such, the one who raced in the 2000s was only 12 in 1993.

I thought the Janco Opels were supposed to race in 1998 with Johansson and Brunstedt?
It was - correct. Will dig out the pics at the weekend.
Nononsensecapeesh

SFS Alex wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:42 am
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:41 pm

It was - correct. Will dig out the pics at the weekend.
Hope this link works.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040125214 ... ryList.php
Nononsensecapeesh

I started listening to that particular podcast last night.

Haven't finished yet, I was too amazed to carry on listening when it got to the part of Gary Cole planning to enter a Citroën BX, hopefully it would've made a better Touring Car than it did a rally car.